Computers And You
Introduction | Task | Resources | Process | Evaluation | Conclusion
We all love surfing the Internet! We love chatting, playing
games and down loading data to print. Where did these information highway
vehicles come from? Who invented them and how long have they been
Once all research is completed, the student should be able to
do the following:
- Answer a series of questions regarding the origin of
- Answer a series of questions regarding the origin of and
consistency of all four computer generations 1945-1956, 1956-1963, 1964-1971
- Be able to write a report giving the history of the computer
from 1623 to present.
- Be able to explain why computers are so much a part of our
The following resources will be used via Infoseek:
- Perspectives of the Smithsonian:
Smithsonian Computer History
- Computers: History and
- Computer History and Folklore
- The Historical Collection
- MITRE: Computer History Internet Picture
- Home Page of Marat Fayzullin
- A Chronology of Computer History: 3000 BC:
Dust abacus is invented
- CHAC History Pages
- VanNatta's Computer History
In order to accomplish this goal, follow the following
- All students will be assigned in groups of four.
- There will be 1 efficiency expert, 1 affiliator, 1
altitudinist and 1 technophile.
- Within each group, examine the specified sights.
- After all sights have been reviewed:
1. Each student gives input and evaluation of the sites he/she
2. Write an essay giving:
a) The History of Computers.
b) How computers have improved/evolved.
c) How Computers have become so much a part of our
You will be evaluated on content, creativity and the ability to
show how computers are a benefit within our society.
Upon completion of this assignment, you will have learned the
history of the computer, how computers have been used over the past centuries,
what actually constitutes a computer, and how much our lives are effected by